Maitland has specific experience in relation to disputes arising in the sports sector. This includes claims for breach of management and agency contracts, brand licensing claims, disputes over intellectual property rights, general contractual disputes and company law issues, as well as actions concerning professional disciplinary matters and regulation. Our experience includes working for and against football and rugby clubs, tennis clubs, motor racing and sports promotion and entertainment companies, and extends outside conventional litigation to the pursuit and defence of actions in arbitrations and before professional disciplinary bodies.
Examples of our work include:
- The Queen's Club litigation - a dispute between the Lawn Tennis Association and its members over the LTA's wish to sell shares in the Queen's Club
- MGT v Setanta Sports - a dispute over TV licensing agreements
- Affinity v Federation of International Cricket Associations - acting for FICA in a dispute over a joint venture agreement for the promotion of the interests of test playing countries
- An international arbitration concerning football broadcasting rights in Africa
- R v Football Association (ex p. Football League) - the landmark decision that FA decisions were not susceptible to judicial review
- Formula 1 disputes (including acting for Jenson Button)
- Various licensing matters (including Umbro International and Lonsdale).