Maitland's property practice is ranked amongst the top two in the country, with many barristers practising exclusively in the field. Our expertise covers a wide spectrum of advice, drafting and advocacy about land, buildings and the rights and obligations associated with them. Clients range from individuals and small companies through to large estates, global corporations, public authorities and nation states
Examples of the range of work we undertake include:
- 3 of the 4 House of Lords cases in 2008 regarding enfranchisement (Earl Cadogan v Atlantic Telecasters Ltd, Aggio v Howard de Walden Estates Ltd, Boss Holdings Ltd v Grosvenor West End Properties)
- disputes involving property agents (e.g. JD Wetherspoon v Van der Berg – fraud, Crooks v Newdigate Properties Ltd – contract)
- disputes arising out of commercial leases (e.g. Artworld Financial Corporation v Safarian, Progress Property Co Ltd v Tradegro)
- disputes over commercial property developments (e.g. 107 Cheapside)
- property issues arising out of recent insolvencies (e.g. Lehmans, Woolworths)
- mortgage claims (e.g. National Westminster Bank v Ashe)
Maitland Chambers is ranked in Chambers UK and the Legal 500.
Maitland was awarded “Real Estate Set of the Year” at the Chambers Bar Awards in 2008.
Our members have experience in all aspects of real estate law and litigation, including restrictive covenants, rights to light and other easements, development contracts, boundary disputes, mortgage fraud and other mortgage disputes including cases concerning undue influence, land options, insolvency problems in the real estate context and claims of professional negligence against solicitors, surveyors and valuers.
Landlord & Tenant
Members have experience in all areas of landlord and tenant law in both the residential and commercial context, including rent reviews, lease renewals, the enforcement of leasehold covenants, leasehold reform, possession actions, claims for forfeiture, guarantee claims, leasehold enfranchisement and break clauses.