We regularly act as advocates in both international and domestic arbitrations, under the ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL and other regimes and litigate in the supervising court, for example in disputes about the existence or effect of arbitration agreements, in claims for injunctive relief in aid of arbitrations and in appeals from arbitral awards. We are also instructed regularly on the enforcement of arbitration awards.
Be it a small local arbitration between the partners of a solicitors' firm or a large-scale commercial arbitration, Maitland has barristers with the necessary experience and expertise to advise, assist and represent.
Some of our members also act as arbitrators, as experts and as legal assessors. Sir William Blackburne has returned to Chambers as a Door Tenant and accepts appointments as an arbitrator. We also have a number of accredited mediators within Chambers.
Our recent experience includes many cases involving multinational companies across a broad range of industry sectors, from healthcare to property, for a diverse range of clients.
Examples of our work in this area include:
- SEB Trygg v Manches - complex arbitration law disputes arising out of a dispute governed by the Rules of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce
- Arduina Holding BV v Celtic Resources plc - arbitration concerning a gold mine in Russia, Nezhdaninskoye, one of the largest gold fields in the world and associated court proceedings
- Westwood Shipping Lines Inc v Universal Schifffahrtsgesellschaft Mbh - application for permission to disclose and rely on documents and information disclosed in and generated during confidential arbitration proceedings
- Yukos Capital S.a.r.l. v OJSC Rosneft Oil Company - part of the long running Yukos affair, these claims are to enforce arbitration awards worth nearly half a billion dollars which have been set aside by the supervisory courts in Russia
- Milsom v Ablyazov - consideration of the impact of powers arising pursuant to a receivership order on the confidentiality of arbitration proceedings
- IPCO (Nigeria) Ltd v Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation - application to enforce a Nigerian (New York Convention) arbitration award worth over $150m within the jurisdiction
- JSC Zestafoni G Nikoladze Ferralloy Plant v Ronly Holdings Ltd - an arbitration claim in the Commercial Court challenging an Award (relating to contracts for supply and manufacture of ferroalloys at a plant in Georgia) under ss. 67 and 69 of the Arbitration Act 1996
- A Singapore arbitration - advocacy in an ICC arbitration in Singapore relating to a joint venture under the laws of Thailand
- Jung Science Information Technology Co Ltd v ZTE Corporation - advocacy in the Hong Kong court in the leading case on the removal of an arbitrator for bias under the UNCITRAL rules
- A motor racing arbitration - advocacy in an international motor-racing with arbitration hearings in Paris and Milan
- An Amsterdam arbitration - advocacy in an ICC arbitration in Amsterdam concerning television license agreements
- A DIFC arbitration - LCIA arbitration in the Dubai International Financial Centre concerning investment banking fees and margin calls on derivatives
- A Guersney arbitration - advocacy in an ICDR arbitration in Guernsey concerning the collapse of an investment fund through fraud
- A Washington DC arbitration - advocacy in an ICSID arbitration in Washington concerning copper mining investments
- A Jersey arbitration - ICC arbitration in Jersey concerning a supply agreement for solar panels